Monday, September 12, 2005

Changing Opinions

Did you ever notice how, as we go through life, we have a tendency to change our minds about some things?

For example, I’ve noticed that the older I get, the smarter my dad gets. When I was 16 I was sure my father was an idiot. But now, as I approach 40, I am finding he’s really a very smart guy. I even find myself thinking and saying some of the very same things I used to find so ridiculous. How can that be?

Another example, I used to have absolutely no use for cats. I was a die hard, vocal (perhaps even belligerent) dog person. I thought cats were only good for kicking, if you could get your boot on one. (Not that I ever did, mind you. But it seemed like it would have been OK at the time.) And now for the last 6+ years I’ve had a cat. Heck, I even think so highly of him that I talked my Gorgeous wife into getting him a pet kitten last year to keep him company. Weird, I know.

I used to think religion was for the weak minded. I used to think that corporations just existed to drain the earth of its resources. I used to think that the only ways to make money would prevent someone else from being able to earn their share. I used to think the Green Bay Packers were just another football team...

How can one person have been so wrong?

No comments: